The fact is that the farmers are struggling across India for a better life and for getting the right price for the crop. The sad truth is that the crops are purchased from the farmers at a marginal price and they are sold to the people at a very high cost. The major part of this cost goes to the middle man and this is something needs to be changed. It can take many years to change this sad reality. To help the farmers in Odisha, the government of Odisha launched a scheme called Krushak Assistance for Livelihood and Income Augmentation.
This is abbreviated as KALIA Scheme and in this article, we have listed all the details about KALIA Scheme.
What is the scheme all about?
KALIA scheme is aimed at providing the holistic benefits to the farmer in Odisha. As per the information made available, the scheme will cover 92% farmers in the state and in addition to this, the scheme will provide financial support, cultivation support, livelihood support and insurance support to small and marginal farmers. This also includes the landless farmers so that the real deserving people get the benefit of the scheme.
How will the scheme work?
It is known that the farmers will be able to avail the benefits from the beginning of Rabi Season 2018-2019 and they will have to first register for the scheme. During the registration, the farmers would have to declare the amount of land they own and this would the government in verifying the records. Post verification, the government will start disbursing the benefits directly into the account.
What is the Eligibility criteria for the scheme?
The eligibility criteria for KALIA Scheme are
- The farmer should be domicile of Odisha and he should be working in Odisha.
- The scheme is applicable for the small, marginal and landless farmer. The exact coverage under small farmers includes the farmer who owns land between 2.5 and 5 acres of land. Marginal farmer includes a farmer who owns less than 2.5 acres of land.
- The farmer should have a bank account and valid identity proof to avail the scheme.
How to apply for the scheme?
The application procedure for KALIA is not yet available as the scheme was launched recently. It is expected that the government of Odisha will soon publish a detailed notification describing the exact application procedure for the farmers.
What are the benefits of the scheme?
The benefits of the scheme are listed below
- The scheme talks about giving the benefits of Rs 12,500 per year for the farmers who do not own any land. This also covers the activities like goat rearing, duckery units, poultry units, fishery, bee keeping and mushroom cultivation.
- For small and marginal farmers, the benefits sum up to Rs 25,000 for 5 seasons. The amount will help them in purchasing the seeds, pesticides, fertilizers and meeting other expenses for the farming.
- The scheme also talks about the benefits of Rs 10,000 per family per year for agriculturalists or vulnerable cultivators. As per an estimate, this will cover 5 lakh families and the benefit are basically for the old aged or disabled cultivators.
- Apart from the benefits mentioned above, the scheme also provides life insurance at a premium of Rs 330 and personal accident insurance at a premium of Rs 12. 50% of the premium will be paid by the government and the coverage amount is Rs 2 Lakh for both the insurances.
- Some of the sources state that the scheme will also provide crop insurance to the farmers.
Who will back the plan?
The plan is being backed by the state government of Odisha
Details of the scheme
- Scheme Name – Krushak Assistance for Livelihood and Income Augmentation (KALIA)
- Budget For scheme – Rs 10,180 crore
- Scheme Launched by – Odisha State Government
Is this the way forward for the nation?
This is surely a good scheme and a good initiative taken by the Odisha Government. Since the scheme covers many aspects of farming, it provides better usability to the farmers.
The government should surely continue the scheme and at the same time, the government should also go ahead and build infrastructure to support the farmers.